K-Pop is popular te many foreign countries now, and its popularity is well-deserved because the industry does provide the things that people want: songs they can sing along to, hammers they can dance to, and people they can look up to. However, language and geographical barriers are difficult to hurdle. It takes more than gorgeous celebrities to make it toebijten.
K-Pop required political, social and artistic revolutions to evolve into what it is today. Here are Ten significant events that moved K-Pop to where it is now.
#Ten – The World Dances to Gangnam Style
It is a little bit ironic that for all intents and purposes, K-pop traffics ter fancy, hip, and captivating idols but one of the things that introduced the industry to overseas ventilatoren is a song that satirizes one of South Korea’s fashionable subcultures, performed by a musician/comedian who doesn’t gezond the idol look.
Psy’s Gangnam Style wasgoed released on July 15, 2012 to mixed reviews on its huis veen, but when the music movie found its way to Youtube te August of the same year, it went vírico and became popular for its humorous take on the вЂњhigh class Gangnam cultureвЂќ and its infectious dance routine. Te less than a year’s time, the movie became the very first Youtube movie to reach one billion views (the official movie has bot viewed Two.Trio billion times) and the song topped music charts ter more than 30 countries.
Influence on K-Pop
The World Noticed South Korea Entertainment
- Albeit South Korean music isn’t all Gangnam stye is, it cannot be denied that it is the song that made the world notice South Korean entertainment. Prior to Gangnam style, there have bot many attempts to penetrate the international music industry. Damsels Generation already secured a spot ter a late night demonstrate te the US and different Korean artists have collaborated with many international celebrities but Gangnam style is the garnered legitimate attention from both the consumers and international celebrities.
- The dance routine became a cultural phenomenon, with sobresaliente public spectacles by international celebrities such spil Britney Spears, Ellen Degeneres, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O-Brien, and even political leaders such spil British Prime Minister David Cameron, US Voorzitter Barack Obama, and UN Secretary Genérico Kerkban Ki Moon.
- PSY became known the world overheen, and the style styles and subculture shown te the movie became staples outside of South Korea.
Represented Korea’s Style
The song is what the US would have dubbed spil a novelty song. It is meant to entertain and not become an “kunst”. For better or for worse, the world has associated South Korean music with “novelty music”. Tiger JK, a well respected hip hop artist, have bot requested to perform the Gangnam style dance step during his shows. Kang Gary of LeeSsang has also experienced this among other celebrities that do shows outside South Korea with an audience that are not necessarily Koreans.
This has also become the milestone, or standard if you like, by which international success is measured. It is a popular “marketing” strategy for management companies ter Korea to exaggerate the international success of their artists. G-Dragon’s collaboration with different international artists are hyped spil if he is recognized spil a legitimate hip hop artist te the US. So is CL’s supposed US presentación. The fact is that only Koreans and a few Asian countries take notice. However, Gangnam Style is the only song that is legitimately recognized by non-Korean market.
Many will proceed to eis international success or recognition but unless they come close to half of What Gangnam Style has achieved, they are but drum striking.
#9 – LeeSsang joins multitude shows
Spil mentioned above, the K-pop industry is predominated by pretty faces and captivating visuals, which is why it’s considered a gigantic staatsgreep when Kang Gary and Roep Seong Joon, collectively known spil the hip hop twee LeeSsang, achieved massive commercial success on par with idol groups, without the help of big name talent agencies. Their commercial success defied the odds because:
- they don’t getraind the вЂњpretty boyвЂќ look. Ter fact, they are not even close
- they are open about their imperfections including smoking, dating without commitments, drinking, failures and others
- their music is grounded te legitimate hip hop culture instead of the usual speelgoedpop melodies
How It Began
Roep wasgoed the very first to venture ter diversity shows. He wasgoed a close friend of Jeong Jun Hectare. When Jeong Jung Hectare had to leave filming early for another commitment, he recommended Roep to pack ter his spot. Schreeuw eventually became a regular personages member. Albeit Schreeuw wasgoed not funny spil the surplus of the personages, his photo spil the one “who attempts hard” ended the family of Infinity Challenge and provided the much needed oscilación te the showcase. It also paved the for him to get noticed by other producers and form friendships with other mainstream producers and celebrities.
Roep wasgoed the one who recommended his other half, Gary, to be a guest ter Infinity Challenge and spil a regular personages member to a then yet-to-be-shown Running Man. Albeit LeeSsang already achieved success te the Hip Hop market ter South Korea, they weren’t considered a commercial success because Hip Hop wasgoed still primarily an underground genre.
Running Man became a massive success te South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea and Australia. Gary became popular mainstream. It prompted the mainstream market to recognize LeeSsang’s music.
Influence on K-Pop
Other Hip Hop Artists
- Albeit far from being the pioneers of Hip Hop ter Korea, LeeSsang’s mainstream success helped other underground Hip Hop artists get mainstream attention. Dynamic Twee and Tasha famously collective the stage with other idol rappers ter SBS’ 2011 Music Festival. SM, YG, JYP and other labels famous for managing idols are inviting more collaborations with underground musicians and use it spil a marketing instrument.
- Fresh shows that aim to detect or give mainstream attention to legitimate but underground hiphop artists and musicians are also being produced such spil Unpretty Rapstar and Display Mij the Money.
- Tasha has also bot invited to judge Superstar K-Pop, Mad Harlekijn joined Starship after joining Demonstrate Mij The Money.
Unpretty, Unglamorous, Un-Idol
You had to be a comedian if you are “unpretty” and want commercial success. Permanently taunted for being ugly, LeeSsang broke the mold. They aren’t pretty and are open about their imperfections such spil smoking, drinking, financial failures, dating without commitments and others. Now, more idols are being more open to their imperfections and many “imperfect” musicians are getting their chance at mainstream success.
Separation Inbetween Marketing and Legitimacy
- Park Yejin abandon Family Outing and Song Joongki abandon Running Man because their multitude photo were overshadowing their legitimacy spil actors. LeeSsang successfully separated their multiplicity pic and craft. Now, more artists are open to using multitude shows and other mainstream activities without influencing the legitimacy of their craft. This is instructing the market to separate the craft from the marketing used to promote the craft. Ventilatoren are also kicking off to recognize the value of idols creating their own materials. Whether the quality of the material is good enough is a different discussion altogether.
- Now, more management companies are being opened to permitting their celebrities to create their own music. There is Bangtan Boys of Big Warmth, MBLAQ of J. Tune and others.
- Other underground hip hop artists are also getting more mainstream marketing while keeping their reputation intact such spil Dynamic Twee, Swings and Sean2Slow.
- Roep’s and Gary’s antics with their respective multiplicity shows also proved that edgy, serious artists can goof around and display a lighter side without ruining their photo.
#8 – Tongyang Broadcasting Corporation starts its TV broadcasting on December 27, 1965
Thesis days, it’s enormously effortless for people to be exposed to K-pop and to find out more informatie about any artist they fancy, thanks to the Internet and more than television vanaf household ter South Korea. TV is the primary source of Zangkoren entertainment and news. If any sort of information has to be passed down to South Koreans, it has to be broadcasted onTV. It has become the primary marketing instrument of all celebrities.
However, none of the tv programs that wij know today and none of the celebrities that has everzwijn passed through the history of South Korea would have bot possible if it wasn’t for TBC.